Being a Downsizing Diva carries a lot of responsibility, especially when you are contemplating doing your own downsizing and moving. The big thing the Divas know for sure… it is always easier to let go of someone else’s stuff than it is to let go of your own.
In less than a year, I had three different addresses. I moved from a not-so-large condo (851 square feet) to a smaller condo (677 square feet) to my present home (606 square feet). When planning for each of these moves, I decided to sort, downsize and pack…by myself.
The reason was NOT because I was afraid to let my colleagues and friends see how much stuff I have; I want to test our Diva system personally and make sure it really worked!
In the process., here are FIVE THINGS ABOUT MOVING I know for sure:
1. Packing for a move can be liberating. Start packing and you will be amazed at just how much stuff you have. I’m not only talking just clothes — there are small appliances, pots and pans, food, cosmetics, sports equipment, books, linens, jewellery… the list goes on. Lighten-up and you really will feel better!
2. Another name for our stuff is “possessions”…because our stuff possesses us and not the other way around!
3. Downsizing is easier to do with objectivity! When you have someone, who is not emotionally attached to your stuff, help you downsize, you look at your treasures more objectively.
4. An Inventory is NOT a waste of time. Take a few minutes to make a list of the items you are packing in every box. If you don’t get around to unpacking everything right away, at least you know which box to open to find what ever it is you’re looking for.
5. More information is always better! Identify the final destination for each box or item. A bit of extra planning at the beginning makes Move Day easier for you AND your movers.
Here’s to moving experiences…
every one of them!