When I sent my email to friends and family asking them to support Team Diva in our fundraising efforts for the Alzheimer’s “Walk for
Memories”, a friend sent this poem.
January is Alzheimer’s Awareness Month and I wanted to share it today…
Did you know…
- 1 in 11 Canadians over the age of 65 has Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia?
- Women represent 72% of the Canadians living with Alzheimer’s Disease?
- In just 5 years, as much as 50% more Canadians and their families could be facing Alzhiemer’s disease or a related dementia?
Now you know some of the reasons TEAM DIVA is participating in the Alzheimer’s “Walk for Memories” on Saturday, January 31st 2015. We are walking to raise funds for counselling and support for people with dementia and their families; education and awareness in the community and research to find the cause…and the cure!
This is the fourth year, the Divas have participated in the walk; I’m waking because this disease is personal.
I’m walking for someone who lived with Dementia… my Dad, Len Shinn. On January 30th, 2013, my Dad passed away. A few days later we had a wonderful celebration of his life or as he would have called it a “big hoop-de-do”. I’m walking for my Dad who was the best Dad and Grandpa ever!
I’m walking for someone who was a Dementia Caregiver… my Mum, Mary who was Dad’s caregiver for over 5 years. In 2013, the day after Len had been placed in Palliative Care, Mary joined TEAM DIVA and walked with us. Unfortunately, Mum passed away this year on August 6, 2014, I’m walking for my Mum and all of the other wonderful caregivers.
Throughout our caregiving journey, we were supported by wonderful friends, family…and Alzheimer Toronto. Participating in this “Walk for Memories” is my way of giving back and ensuring caregiving support and research continues for others!
Please support our efforts this year by making a donation to TEAM DIVA!
1. Go to www.alzwalk.to
2. Click yellow “Donate” button (top right)
3. Select “Search for a TEAM” from the drop down menu
4. Enter TEAM DIVA in the search field
5. Click green “Donate Now” button
6. And…follow the prompts.
Thanks… from all of us who have had our lives changed forever by this disease! Here’s to discovering a cure soon!