This is a great time to work on the Diva’s first rule of downsizing — Start small, but start NOW!
When you’re ready to simplify your life, check out…
Downsizing Diva’s Top 10 Downsizing Tips:
1. CLEAN YOUR YARD. In addition to raking the last of the fall leaves, take steps to winterize plants, cover shrubs and containers and repair/remove damaged lawn decorations.
2. FIND OUTDOOR HOLIDAY DECORATIONS. While the weather is still reasonably comfortable, make sure your holiday lights are functional and installed, even if you don’t turn them on until later in the season.
3. CLEAR YOUR GARAGE. At the very least, clear a path to the shovels and/or snow blowers. Winter will be arriving and snow will be coming with it!
4. WINTERIZE YOUR CAR. When you have your “snow tires” installed, pack a “Winter Emergency Kit” in the trunk – just in case!
5. STREAMLINE CLOSETS. Whether you use the front door or back door, remove all summer items so you have space for winter coats, boots, mittens, hats and scarves.
6. TRY ON WINTER CLOTHES. Before the season begins, donate clothes that no longer fit you or your lifestyle so someone else can stay warm this winter.
7. EDIT BOOKCASES. Let go of books you’ll never read again. Share these treasures with friends or donate them to your favourite charity.
8. CHECK SPICES. Cooler weather means savoury soups and casseroles! According to McCormick Spices, whole spices stay fresh for about 3-4 years, ground spices for about 2-3 years and dried herbs for about 1-3 years.
9. PURGE THE MEDICINE CABINET. Make sure all cold medications and other items in your medicine cabinet have not passed their “best before date”. Dispose of these expired products responsibly.
10. CONTINUE THE PROCESS! Challenge yourself to continue downsizing by letting go of ONE item a day for the next 30 days. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.