No matter how much space we have in our home, we always seem to need more. That could be because our stuff seems to expand to fit the space we have. These days, it’s not so much about finding more space, it’s about making the most of the space we have.
Whether you are downsizing or upsizing, here are FOUR Downsizing Diva HABITS:
Find a place for everything and keep everything in its place.
• Bring only items you want, use and need into your home and take a major step towards successful space management and downsizing.
• Clear out drawers, closets and cupboards regularly.
• Keep frequently used items in a convenient location.
• Store cleaning products and medications out of reach of children.
Store “like” with “like”.
• This rule works best for items that are purchased regularly.
• Store paper products, laundry and cleaning supplies together. You’ll know what you have and when it’s time to buy more.
• With big box stores and bulk buying, it’s easy to end up with far more of these products that you actually use.
• Keep tape, staplers, scissors, pens, envelopes, stamps and paper where they are easily accessible by all family members. Just remember to put things back!
One in, one out.
• This habit helps control clutter in your home and reduces the need for downsizing.
• Your family’s surplus items can be recycled at your local Family Shelter or Thrift Shop.
If you haven’t used it in a year, donate it.
• This fall, when you put away summer clothes to make room for winter clothes, just keep clothes you or your family will wear next season.
• Edit the stuff in your home seasonally and you will not be overwhelmed with clutter again.
Remember, the important things in life… aren’t things!