Downsizing can be emotional so here are some Downsizing Diva tips to help you “right-size” your belongings to fit into your home and your lifestyle.
Your home may be large enough to hold all of your treasures which means downsizing may only become an issue when the decision is made to MOVE to a smaller home!
While the thought of moving might be exciting, the tasks of sorting, downsizing and packing can be overwhelming. Accumulating stuff is easy; letting go of it is not.
When you are ready to begin downsizing, here are FIVE questions to ask:
1. Do I own more than one of these? If the answer is yes, select your favourite and donate the others.
2. When was the last time I used this? If you used the item more than a year ago (or if you can’t remember when you last used it) let it go. Sell it or give it away. Just don’t pack it.
3. Does this fit my new lifestyle? Moving boxes of your children’s artwork, or your Mother’s “good china” will only take up valuable storage space at your new place. If you aren’t using it…don’t pack it!
4. Am I keeping this because I feel guilty letting it go? Guilt is a huge obstacle to downsizing. Share these “guilt items” with someone who will treasure them. There is no room in your life for stuff you don’t want, use or need!
5. Will I do something with it? Sports equipment, piles of fabric, boxes of tools and recipe books will just sit there if you have neither the time nor the inclination to use them. Share with family and friends!
Even if a move is not in your immediate future, the time to simplify your home and your life is…NOW!