On a recent trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Florida, we snapped this photo because we were attracted by the colours, the containers and, of course…the candy!
When we returned from vacation, we realized this picture conjured up everything we knew and believed about organizing.
If you look closely at the photo, you will see some important organizing principles in practice:
- Store “like” with “like”. When all the licorice is in one container and all the gumdrops are in another, it’s easy to find exactly what you’re looking for.
- Have a place for everything and keep everything in its place!
- See-through containers work best because you know what you’ve got, how much is left and when you need to buy more.
- Organizing should be visually pleasing; this candy storage display is very pleasing indeed!
- If you are a piler, you want things out in the open so you can see them, like this candy display. If you are a filer, you want to hide all the containers in cupboards and drawers.
- Keep only things you want, use, need and enjoy! It’s candy…need we say more???
Whether you’re organizing candy, closets or containers, there are some simple rules to follow.
Here’s to taking steps to make your home even more organized and downsized this year!