When the challenges of downsizing become overwhelming, people often throw up their hands in despair and head to the nearest storage unit.
A well-organized storage locker containing items you want, use and need is a good investment. Renting storage space to avoid making decisions about disposing or donating your stuff doesn’t make cents!
Renting storage space can be a tempting alternative to downsizing. It’s much easier to bring all of your unwanted and unused stuff to a clean, heated and secure space, walk away with a key and know everything will be safe.
We heard about a family who rented a storage unit to store surplus
furniture and other items. After a year of credit card bills, Dad visited the locker to see exactly what he was paying for every month.
Imagine his surprise when he opened the door and found…a half-bag of peat moss in the middle of the room. Seems the family had removed the rest of the items several months earlier and forgot to tell Dad. The credit card payments continued to store the peat moss!
TAME THE “LOCKER MESS” MONSTER!
With advance planning, you can maximize space and minimize the cost of your storage locker.
• BE RUTHLESS about items you are storing.
• TAKE INVENTORY of each box or container.
• NOTE THE LOCATION of each box within the storage unit.
• ENSURE everything is accessible.
• BUY boxes that are the same size + a shelving unit or two.
• MAXIMIZE vertical and horizontal space.
• VISIT your locker in ONE YEAR.
• RE-ASSESS the need for the items and for the storage costs!
Here’s to letting go of stuff…for good!